Monday, April 23, 2012

Post 8: The future of literacy

When reading the article for today I realized many things about my past schooling and the new use of visual and technical literacy. When i was in school technology was advancing on a fast paced level. However, in my hometown these technical values were hardly considered. Mainly because of funding and where I had grown up. I remember in 8th grade we would go to the computer lab and get on dogpile to look up facts about subject that we would then write upon. This was before websites like this were banned or considered cheating by my teachers. Even in high school there was only ONE computer lab and one class that actually used the computers and that class was only for basically Typing 101. Not until my senior year did we finally get funding for more exciting technology for classes such as the visual arts. Having been interested in computers and video games since I was about 6 years old I took advantage of this. Every other class basically used projectors from the dark ages or chalkboards. I remember we would always get new textbooks and that was it. Even if we did have money to provide more visual and technical literacy equipment I still don't think it would have been valued. I won't get into that however because that is a sociology matter. In all honesty if a had not taken an interest in computers as a child I wouldn't know what a motherboard, hard drive, or the like even meant. In my opinion this would have set me back on the college level of technical and visual literacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment